by Susan Donovan JCC Fitness Services Director
A recent Swedish study found that physical activity was the number one contributor to longevity, adding extra years to your life—even if you don’t start exercising until your later years.
But getting and staying active is not just about adding years to your life, it’s about adding life to your years. You’ll not only feel and look better, you will be mentally sharper, have more energy, and experience a greater sense of well-being.
PHYSICAL HEALTH BENEFITS INCLUDE
· Weight maintenance—As metabolism naturally slows with age, maintaining a healthy weight is a challenge. Exercise helps increase metabolism and builds muscle mass, helping to burn more calories.
· Reduced impact of Illness and Disease - People who exercise tend to have improved immune and digestive functioning, better blood pressure and bone density, and a lower risk of Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, osteoporosis, and certain cancers.
· Enhanced Mobility, Flexibility and Balance - Exercise improves your strength, flexibility and posture, which in turn will help with balance, coordination, and reducing the risk of falls. Regular activity also helps alleviate the symptoms of chronic conditions such as arthritis.
A VARIETY OF MENTAL HEALTH BENEFITS
· Active seniors experience including improved quality and quantity of sleep.
· Boosts mood and self-confidence. Exercise is a huge stress reliever and the endorphins produced can actually help reduce feelings of sadness, depression, or anxiety. Being active and feeling strong naturally helps you feel more self-confident.
· Exercise does amazing things for the brain! Active seniors experience better multi-tasking, less cognitive decline and memory loss, and some studies show may even help slow the progression of brain disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease.
Starting an appropriate exercise program or finding a physical activity that can be done consistently without risk of injury can be challenging but don’t let this discourage you.
Let our Senior Exercise Specialists and Certified Fitness Staff at the JCC help! Our Wellness Department offers age appropriate exercise classes, personal training programs and a social environment designed to guide you into a healthier, happier and more active life!
TO NAME A FEW:
1. Silver Sneakers group exercise class for cardio fitness and muscular strength
2. Senior Drum-Fit class for physical and cognitive fitness
3. Tai Chi for coordination, concentration and balance
4. Gentle Yoga
5. Pain Free Posture Yoga
6. Zumba Gold
7. Walking Club
8. Aquatic Classes
9. Personal Training Programs for post rehab
10.Hand and Foot MELT™ for Arthritis
WEDNESDAY, MAY 29 IS NATIONAL SENIOR HEALTH & FITNESS DAY
Join us at the JCC of Greater New Haven to experience a variety of classes, programs and lecture all designed to help keep you happier and healthier in your ‘golden years.’
For more information and schedule of events contact firstname.lastname@example.org