Over the past several months, there have been an alarming number of reported hate crimes and anti-Semitic inspired incidents directed at Jewish communities throughout the country. The recent fire at the JCC and the bomb threats experienced in January and February followed heightened local awareness to issues around safety and security. The Jewish Federation of Greater New Haven had been working in the months prior to these events to increase safety measures and enhance security training for its staff and the staff of Greater New Haven Jewish agencies and congregations. “Ensuring the safety and security of JCC members - be it at Camp, Yeladim or the Fitness Center – and the security of the community as a whole is one of our main roles as Federation, which we have taken very seriously,” said Judy Alperin, CEO of the Jewish Federation of Greater New Haven. “Vigilance and preparedness are key,” she said.
The Jewish Federation of Greater New Haven has been actively working with federal, state and local law enforcement and first responders to review emergency plans and security protocols. Contact with elected officials has been made at the local, state and national levels as well to secure resources and bring the security of our communities to the public floor.
Specific measures include the following:
- CONTACT WITH STATE LEGISLATORS AND LOCAL OFFICIALS to lobby for increased funding
- SECURITY TRAINING WITH ADL & LAW ENFORCEMENT for Jewish institutions’ front line personnel offered in August of last year, which resulted in effective response to the telephonic bomb threats our JCC experienced this winter
- FIRE DRILLS and a clear emergency action plan resulted in effective evacuation of the JCC building during the fire in December
- FBI SECURITY TRAINING and an active shooter drill was given to JCC Camp staff and the community as a whole in April 2017
- 12 SECURITY CAMERAS and additional lighting were installed at the JCC Fitness Center at Research Drive
- SECURITY INTERCOM was installed at the Federation offices to help identify the people entering the main offices
- SECURITY BADGES were distributed to the entire JCC and Federation staff to be at a state of preparedness for emergency evacuation
- ANNUAL TRAININGS and refreshers on first aid given to Federation and JCC staff, including Camp and Yeladim
- CAMP SECURITY PRESENCE will be increased beginning with the 2017 summer season